1 - Company profile
For almost 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators, but especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3,500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be affiliated and around which our four campuses are located.
Our education and research are grounded in the principles of free research with an eye on human progress. We disapprove of every purely authoritative argument and guarantee the free formation of judgement that is necessary for this basic principle to be incorporated in the community.
The VUB is autonomous and managed democratically. As such, we guarantee fundamental freedoms within our university, as well as the right of the university community to be involved in making and checking university policy.
The mission of the university includes:
2 - Job Description
|Staff category||Senior Academic Staff|
|Specific designation||The recruitment takes place in one of the grades for SAP.|
|Scope of mandate||0.3 FTE|
|Faculty||Faculteit Letteren en Wijsbegeerte|
|Linguistics and Literary Studies|
Education & research domain
Translation Studies French-Dutch
Total of 6 ECTS
Bachelor Applied Linguistics
Vertalen Frans III (3 ECTS)
Master Translation Studies
Translation workshop French-Dutch: component literary translation (3 of 6 ECTS) (two course titulars )
Research in the domain of translation studies French-Dutch.
Active fundraising in this domain.
Lead of research team in this domain.
Creating an international network in this domain.
Supervision of bachelor and master papers in the domain of translation studies French-Dutch.
Active participation in the councils and commissions of the study program, the department and the faculty.
3 - Job profile
As a formal minimum requirement, applicants must a hold a PhD awarded on the basis of an original thesis.
A PhD in the domain of (Applied) Linguistics with a focus on Translation Studies French-Dutch or Foreign Language Acquisition French.
degree or diploma.
- conducts solid research in the fields of Translation Studies French-Dutch or Foreign Language Acquisition French, as shown by (co)authorship of publications in one of the categories included in the Web of Science or VABB database and by means of a clear vision on the research that will be conducted and strengthened during the appointment;
- has pedagogical qualities related to the teaching assignment, as shown by a trial teaching session;
- provides research-based education as shown by a clear personal statement that includes a description of the candidate’s approach to each of the courses listed above;
- has an international network, or provides a clear vision on how to establish such a network;
- has experience in fundraising in the research domain of the vacancy, or provides a clear fundraising strategy;
- has experience in scientific and societal service or provides a clear outline on how this can be developed;
- provides a clear personal statement on how the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and expertise fit into the study programs of Applied Linguistics (Bachelor Applied Linguistics, and at least one of the Master Programs: Interpreting Studies, or Translation Studies), the research of the research group BIAL (https://bial.research.vub.be/), and into the policy of the department;
- excellent knowledge of Dutch and French at level C1 (CEFR)
- excellent knowledge of English is an asset.
The candidate is expected to subscribe to the university’s vision of education. (The full text in relation to this is available on the university website.)
Every initial appointment is also dependent on the successful teaching of a trial lesson.
Members of the academic staff who, as title-holders, are charged with teaching assignments, must be able to demonstrate the required knowledge of the language of instruction for the relevant course units. Example: When a course unit is taught in English, the candidate is required to have the appropriate certificate.
4 - Offer
As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, you’ll work, every day, in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Our campuses are located in the middle of a green oasis at the edge of the capital city of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. That city centre, with all its opportunities and possibilities, is easily accessed by public transport in less than half an hour.
Depending on your experience and your academic merits, you’ll receive a salary in one of the grades that have been set by the government. Standard inclusions include hospitalisation insurance and the free use of public transport for your home–work commute. And if you prefer to bike to work? There’s compensation for that too. On both campuses, there are extensive sport facilities available to you and childcare facilities within walking distance.
For more information on what it’s like to work at the VUB, go to www.vub.ac.be/en/jobs.
5 - Additional information
|Planned starting date||01/10/2020|
|Length of contract||3 years (renewable)|
|Contact person||Inge Arteel|
|Contact telephone||02/629 26 47 of 02/629 26 65|
6 - Application
Your application must include the following as a minimum:
|Titel||Professor Translation Studies French - Dutch|
|Employer||Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)|
|Job location||Boulevard de la Plaine 2, 1050 Brussels|
|Publiceret||januar 28, 2020|
|Ansøgningsfrist||marts 3, 2020|
|Områder||Germanske sprog,   Romanske sprog,   Anvendt Lingvistik  |