The Centre for Research & Development Monitoring (Expertisecentrum Onderzoek en Ontwikkelingsmonitoring, ECOOM) University of Antwerp is looking for a full-time (100%)
PhD grant holder or postdoctoral research fellow in the domain of evaluation and bibliometrics of social sciences and humanities
The Centre for Research & Development Monitoring of the Flemish Community (ECOOM, see www.ecoom.be) is an interuniversity consortium with participation of all Flemish universities. ECOOM-UAntwerp is attached to the Faculty of Social Sciences and manages the coordination of the Flemish Academic Bibliographic Database of the Social Sciences and Humanities (VABB-SHW). The group collaborates with colleagues from over 30 countries on evaluation and bibliometrics of social sciences and humanities.
- You carry out research on communication and publication patterns in social sciences and humanities.
- You collaborate with international colleagues on comparative studies of publication patterns in social sciences and humanities.
- You present your research findings at local and international conferences.
- You publish papers in international scientific journals.
- If you are employed as PhD grant holder, you prepare a PhD within the expertise of ECOOM-UAntwerp.
- You contribute to the further development of the VABB-SHW and the information about it.
- You provide support to services that ECOOM-UAntwerp performs on behalf of the government.
Profile and requirements
- You have a master's degree; to be eligible as a postdoctoral research fellow you must have a PhD in a relevant domain and in the preceding three years, you have not worked more than two years in Belgium.
- You can present excellent study results.
- You have demonstrable interest in communication and publication patterns in the social sciences and/or humanities.
- You have experience with quantitative and statistical processing of data.
- You have an excellent command of both oral and written academic English. Furthermore, you are preferably acquainted with one or more other European languages.
- You have (at least some) experience with programming (e.g., Python, R) and are highly motivated to further develop your skills.
- a four-year doctoral scholarship or a two year postdoc with an initial period of one year, starting 1 October 2017 (or as soon thereafter as possible);
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 17 September 2017.
- Your application consists of:
- motivation letter;
- a recent paper or text (e.g., master thesis) by yourself that illustrates how you write scientific texts, preferably in English;
- (in case of application for a postdoc research fellowship) a two-page description of the focus of your envisioned research.
- More information about the application form can be obtained through email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, contact dr. Raf Guns (firstname.lastname@example.org) or dr. Tim Engels (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.